Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Brand-Spanking-New New Avengers

I love comics.  You probably know that by now, but if not, there it is.  There's no shame in that, either, as I'm one of a great many who will tell you that comics may just be the most underrated form of art on the planet.  There are some master storytellers at work in that realm, and there are guys that can do shit with pencils and ink that will blow your mind.  There are some cats out there doing wild stuff with paint and computers and it's all designed to boggle the mind and tell a fun story.  Comics are fun, and that's something we could all use a little more of, right?

Now, for several years, my favorite title was Marvel's New Avengers.  I was heartbroken a few months back when the deck was reshuffled, and the team I knew and loved was sent packing in favor of a relaunch with a new team.  Now, that team I fell in love with was the best team Marvel ever put together in terms of entertainment.  Seriously, we had Cap, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Power-Man and Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, and Hawkeye, among others.  It doesn't get any better than that, and Marvel was wise enough to put that team at the center of all of their biggest events, ranging from the Civil War to World War Hulk and even the Secret Invasion.  So, yeah, I was pretty distraught when I found out that Marvel was ready to do something new and different. 

Now, the new squad has been featured in three issues, and this team is made up of Marvel's power elite.  It's essentially the Illuminati with a few wrinkles thrown in for good measure.  I'm not going to go into great detail here, but once again I think Marvel has given us a winner.  The fate of the world is at stake and seeing big guns like Cap, Iron Man, Namor, Dr. Strange, Reed Richards, and Black Panther work together with everything on the line has been pretty massive thus far.  I'm still feeling a little cold, because with The Defenders and New Avengers both being retooled, I don't know where to go for an Iron Fist fix anymore, but my Marvel fandom is still providing me with killer comic books. 

If you haven't done so yet, please scope out the new New Avengers.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment