Friday, February 21, 2020

Powerful Pages: The Andromeda Evolution by Daniel H. Wilson (from 2019)


Powerful Pages: The Andromeda Evolution by Daniel H. Wilson (from 2019)

This kinda felt like the Jaws 2 of novels.  Jaws is a true masterpiece, and I would apply this label to both the book directed by Peter Benchley and the film adaptation directed by Spielberg.  Meanwhile, Jaws 2 is an okay sequel.  A serviceable effort rendered by a competent artist.  Again, I would apply this label to both the book by Hank Searls and the film adaptation from Jeannot Szwarc.  The Andromeda Strain was a landmark novel of science fiction written by one of the finest authors of his or any other generation.  The Andromeda Evolution is enjoyable enough, and Daniel H. Wilson's attempt to mimic Crichton's mesmerizing and information-rich prose is occasionally superlative and never anything less than tolerable.  While it suffers by comparison to its predecessor, The Andromeda Evolution is a worthwhile read that maintained my interest.  There were some striking ideas in play, and the execution was undoubtedly professional if not inspired.  The third act is a bit too much, in my humble opinion; certain developments strained the fabric of credibility so essential to Crichton's premise to the breaking point and beyond.  I did find myself liking the characters, and I thank Wilson for the opportunity to revisit this property.  Fans of The Andromeda Strain will want to experience this sequel, and I suppose I would encourage them to do so--at their leisure.

Final Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment