Thursday, July 9, 2015

Marvel's Darth Vader Comic Series

I like to keep you peeps informed when it comes to what I'm reading, watching, and listening to these days.  Comics are frequently part of this discussion, and you probably know that I'm a Marvel fanboy at heart by now.  If DC liked Swamp Thing as much as I do, I might enjoy their line a bit more, but it's hard to keep your more unique titles going when you feel the need to churn out 716 titles featuring Batman each and every month.  All that aside, I felt the need to let everyone know that right now my favorite comic is the Darth Vader series from Marvel.  I was a little skeptical about the Star Wars line when it was originally announced due to the fact that I didn't really enjoy the Star Wars stuff Marvel dropped on me back when I was a chap.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, and I wasn't sure if this current line would be any different. 

Well, either I didn't know a good thing when I saw it thirty years ago or this line is a vast improvement.  I greatly enjoy the actual Star Wars series, but the Darth Vader series is nothing short of awesome.  Darth is no hero, but throw a supreme prick like The Emperor in the mix and it's easy to root for him.  Set shortly after the events of A New Hope, the title finds Darth and Palpatine at odds as the latter blames his protegee for the destruction of the Death Star.  Vader wants to learn more about the pilot who destroyed that infamous vessel of carnage and he must uncover the Emperor's secret plans--which may include efforts to replace the iconic villain who serves him.  The plotting is stellar, the art is great, and the way the series explores unknown elements of the Star Wars universe while meshing perfectly with existing material is both intriguing and exciting.  I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for a cool read--and those who sometimes enjoy rooting for the bad guy in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment