Saturday, October 27, 2012

Jack-o-lantern II: The Pumpkin Strikes Back

So, my lovely Alaina Rachel (6) is taking part in an alpaca show this weekend.  She's doing terrific, and I'm so very proud of her, but that left Taryn (4) and I to tackle our second jack-o-lantern tonight.  Of course, we had a blast.
This is Taryn having entirely too much fun yanking out the innards:


Basically, we started by flipping through pictures of various jack-o-lanterns on my iPhone.  We talked about what we liked and what we didn't like, and Taryn and I agreed that we wanted to do something spooky.  Then I drew a design on paper that wasn't really like anything we had seen online, but I liked it because I thought it had sort of a malevolent feel to it.  Taryn liked it too; she should have, she was directing traffic all the while, and surely it was as much her design as it was mine.
Then it was time to carve.  This one didn't take nearly as long as the first one, but I think I like it more.  It's completely original, and we landed the spooky face we were looking for.  It was hard to take a good picture, but here's what we came up with:


Like I said, it was hard to get a good picture, and there are some details you can't quite see here, but I think we cooked up something sinister.  That bad boy is guaranteed to keep evil spirits away!
I can only hope that my children cherish moments like these as much as I do.  We had a great time, and we finished our night off with Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy.  Taryn was asleep before thirty minutes had passed, but she was having fun right up until she closed her eyes.
I hope everyone is doing their best to enjoy the holiday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment