Monday, November 27, 2017

Short Attention Span Review: It Follows (2014)


Short Attention Span Review: It Follows (2014)

As I write this review, I can't help but wonder: when was the last time I watched a totally original horror film?  I've seen a lot of good horror films over the years, but I may have to go all the way back to my discovery of giallo in the very heart of my adolescence for a similar revelation.  It Follows is quite unlike anything I've ever seen--and it's scary as hell.  Now, I know I'm a little late to the party here, but if you're like me and you've been sleeping on this one in spite of they hype, well, wake up!  The hype is warranted.  Creepy from the start, there's a wicked dreamlike vibe woven throughout that is decidedly unnerving.  Fortunately, the stakes remain high, and this imaginative flair never causes the picture to become too whimsical to be taken seriously.  It Follows is a dead serious live wire that aims to give the audience a major jolt.  The score is damn near iconic, the performances are captivating, and the direction from writer and director David Robert Mitchell is precise and inventive in equal measures.  Few things excite me as much as the discovery of a great horror film, and this is probably the best one I've seen since The DescentCool, terrifying, and fresh as hell--I may be so late that I almost missed the party, but I'm so glad I found time to enjoy this one.  It Follows represents a wealth of imagination and a superb effort courtesy of everyone involved.

Final Grade: A

It Follows is built upon a kooky premise that can transform mundane shit like this old lady walking down the hallway into a terrible nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment