Thursday, November 29, 2012

Is Stephen King's Under the Dome Coming to CBS?


 I'm reading reports that Stephen King's Under the Dome is heading to CBS next summer.  That is good news indeed, as this massive tale represents one of the master's finest offerings.  I'm a big fan of King's work, and I think some of his most recent books should rank among his very best.  Under the Dome is as big as The Stand, and if handled appropriately, it should make for fantastic television.  Personally, I think it would be better-suited for cable television, but Showtime apparently shipped it over to CBS because they felt otherwise. 

Should the show become a reality, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best.
In Under the Dome, a small town is inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world when an invisible forcefield descends.  Planes slam into it and explode, people are maimed, and a tiny community is forced to fend for themselves as a slimy politician seizes the moment and makes things much worse in an ill-fated power-grab on an epic scale.

I greatly enjoyed Under the Dome and I thought that the everyman hero, an Iraq war vet turned short-order cook who everyone calls Barbie, was a fantastic character to root for.  This is a King novel we're talking about, so it's a bit difficult at times.  No one likes to put the screws to his readers in the pursuit of a good time more than King, and he was truly at the top of his game when he penned this one.

Anyway, I'm intrigued, and I'll be watching closely as the series develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment