Wednesday, November 7, 2012

WWE 13 Part II


So, let it be known: everything I said about WWE 13 last week when I was just getting started is completely true.  I'm tempted to say that I feel the same way about this title as Chris Jericho feels about the championship belt.
Truth: this game is even better than I initially thought it was.  I can't stop playing it, and my children are having a blast with it too.  It's not just that they want to play either.  When I'm doing the Attitude Era tasks and trying to unlock various characters, belts, venues, and matches, they might as well be watching a live show.
Taryn is 4, and she keeps coming up to me and saying "Daddy, why don't you play the wrestling game?"  Alaina is 6 and she can't wait to play another Royal Rumble.  She thinks it's the greatest thing ever.  I shouldn't be too surprised; the Royal Rumble has always been my favorite event to watch, and it has also always been my favorite event to play on a video game.  The Elimination Chamber earns a close second on both of those counts.  Ash isn't even 2 yet and he's getting in on the fun as well.  We are having a great time with WWE 13.
I don't mean to gush, but this game is utterly fantastic.  Reliving some of my favorite storylines from the last twenty years is incredible.  You get vintage video packages to build up the event, you're given a list of achievements (it is necessary to complete these to unlock content) which basically rewards you for playing out the match as it was scripted, and many of these segments come complete with highlight reels from the actual match.  Now, that's cool enough, but THQ has gone even further in their pursuit of a stellar wrestling game.  When you pick up your controller and jump into these matches, segments of the actual commentary play.  This includes spots from guest commentators like Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.  It's super cool, and it makes you wonder when this same approach will be applied to some of the sports titles on the market. 
I wasn't a big fan of the last WWE game, and I know that many of you weren't either.  All I can say is this: believe the hype.  If you were waiting for the verdict on WWE 13 before you snagged a copy, don't wait any longer.  All of the good things you're hearing are true.  I could also go on and on about the gameplay and the graphics, which are superb, but the thought and the ingenuity that went into the presentation are what make WWE 13 a title worth raving about.  Get in the ring! 

Alaina Rachel trying to eliminate her opponent in the Royal Rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment