Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chris Cooper to play Norman Osborn

Let's be real: Marc Webb's Spider-Man reboot was okay, but it was definitely inferior to Raimi's work with the character.  Now, with reports that we might see Electro, Rhino, the Black Cat, Harry, and Mary Jane in the sequel, it seems like things are getting a little crowded.  Typically, (The Avengers aside) cramming too many comic book characters into a single film hasn't been the best approach.  Yet I just learned of the latest addition to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and I think it's the best news we've heard about this picture thus far.  Chris Cooper has apparently signed on to play Norman Osborn, and while I doubt it will happen in the second Webb film, we'll probably see him become the Green Goblin in the near future.

Now, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of Jamie Foxx playing Electro, and I'm even less enthused about seeing Paul Giamatti as the Rhino.  In fact, I still can't take the idea of Giamatti as the Rhino seriously, but apparently it isn't a joke.  I don't know this kid playing Harry, and Shailene Woodley looks like a major step backward for Mary Jane.  I'm not the biggest Kirsten Dunst fan on the planet, but she did a great job and left some really big shoes to fill.  And she was smoking hot with red hair.  So, given that I wasn't blown away by the reboot--far from it, in fact--and most of the developments pertaining to the sequel have struck me as lackluster at best, I'm glad to be sharing some good news.

In all honesty, as much as I like Cooper, and I like him a lot, there's no way he's going to top Willem Dafoe, but I can't think of anyone more deserving of a shot at it.  If Webb has Norman become the Goblin in the second film and everything else we've heard holds true, I think he'll sink the boat, but if not, then Cooper may benefit from having more time to dig into the role of Norman Osborn prior to his transformation.  Regardless, I finally have a reason to look forward to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, even if I'm still doubtful.  It definitely doesn't help matters that this film is going to be compared to Raimi's Spider-Man 2, which is one of the finest comic book films on the market.

Bonus: See one of Cooper's finest performances here.

No comments:

Post a Comment