Thursday, February 28, 2013

Zero the Hero

I now challenge you to question my sanity.  This is going to be short and sweet, and I know it sounds crazy, but it's the truth.  "Zero the Hero" is my favorite Black Sabbath song.  Insanity, right?  How can your favorite Sabbath tune be any of the tracks that Ozzy didn't provide vocals for?  And isn't "Zero the Hero" from that awful Born Again album?

What about "Iron Man" or "Sweet Leaf" or (insert lengthy list of Black Sabbath masterpieces here)? 

Now, before you question my Sabbath cred, I'm a seasoned fan who grew up listening to metal and I've actually been to see two reunion shows.  And I know it sounds crazy.

But I love Zero the Hero.  It's one of the most-played tracks in my iTunes catalog, and there isn't another Sabbath track within striking distance.  Also, if I wanted to up the ante, I could acknowledge that Born Again is actually my favorite Black Sabbath album.  Crazy talk, right?  In fairness, maybe I should acknowledge my love for Deep Purple and Ian Gillan's vocals, which may explain it.  Honestly, I prefer Deep Purple to Black Sabbath, and maybe that's what this boils down to.

Of course, having said that, I will note that I positively love Ozzy's vocals, and I would surely rank "No More Tears" ahead of anything Deep Purple or Black Sabbath produced, but maybe that's just more crazy talk from your favorite deranged author.

What say you?  Is this madness I speak of, or is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment