Friday, February 6, 2015

Short Attention Span Review: The Equalizer (2014)

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for a good slow boil.  I point that out because while I really enjoyed this one, I think anyone looking for something like Taken or John Wick will be put off by the way that The Equalizer simmers a bit before the bullets (and nails) start flying.  Heck, once we are treated to our first major action scene, the film slows down again, and that pattern repeats itself throughout the picture.  This is no mindless action flick.  The plot is important and the quiet moments are just as crucial to the picture as all of the bloodletting.  Denzel excels in the lead role, but that didn't need to be stated--he is Denzel, after all.  Honestly, I would love to see this become a franchise, but we'll have to wait and see.  I think most viewers are going to be hoping for something a little less thoughtful and lot more frenzied.  The Equalizer is a deliberate action film with a wealth of character development and an attention to detail that many modern films lack.  I thought it was very entertaining and I'm going to recommend it to anyone who likes a few good thrills spread throughout an involving piece where the characters and the story are just as important as the body count.

Final Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment