Monday, February 2, 2015

Short Attention Span Review: Dracula Untold (2014)

I've got a lot of love for all things Dracula, and lately that equates to being harshly critical of the way that brand is utilized.  In my personal opinion, the ill-fated television show that hit the scene in 2013 was maybe the worst television show that I've ever watched--and that's not hyperbole.  I hated that shit.  So, I have to admit that I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Dracula Untold.  The previews had promise, but the approach bothered me.  Yes, this is Dracula as an anti-hero, and there's a definite comic book feel to the piece, but what can I say?  It worked, and most importantly, it was entertaining.  Luke Evans was a quality Drac, and the effects and the direction were worthy of the Count.  I thought the sets were gorgeous and the mood and atmosphere really did the job.  Okay, so it's a far cry from Coppola's version, but as a fresh take it never stood any real chance of challenging a faithful adaptation of Stoker's timeless tale.  In the end, Dracula Untold fully realized its potential; it wasn't destined for greatness, but it did a great job of delivering upon its cooky premise.  Bonus points: it will leave you longing for a sequel.  That's always a good sign for a fresh take on a beloved property. 

Final Grade: B


Look out--some damn fool has gone and pissed Dracula off!

No comments:

Post a Comment