Thursday, October 1, 2015

What's the first horror novel that you read?


 October is here, good people, and I'm going to make the most of the spooky season here in the Land of Way.  As an author, I'm always curious about the books that the rest of you enjoy, and with Halloween arriving at the end of the month, I'm wondering how many of us remember the first horror novel that gave us goosebumps.  I would absolutely love it if if my readers were to chime in with their thoughts on the fist scary book that they enjoyed.

I was an avid reader from an early age on.  By the time I was 5, I was trying to write stories of my own.  Even as a youngster, I had a taste for the spooky stuff.  That became a legitimate passion when I read Stephen King's Christine during the summer that followed the third grade.  Honestly, I wouldn't recommend presenting your favorite 8 year-old child with this novel, but reading it was surely a transformative experience for this particular writer.  It firmly illustrated that both the horror genre and reading were things that I wouldn't want to live without.  Prior to reading this book, I enjoyed a good scary story, but after reading Christine I was head over heels for gruesome tales.  The worm had definitely turned in more ways than one, for not only had I become a horror fanatic, but I also no longer wanted to spend my time with smaller books.  Dr. Seuss and Encyclopedia Brown were left in the dust as I started devouring books by King, Farris, and Matheson, among others.

I'm going to post a review of Christine later today, but in the meantime feel free to tell me about the first horror novel you read and how that impacted you.


No comments:

Post a Comment